Air Gestures Recognition for iOS and Android
Nanogest is a touch-free gesture recognition SDK for iOS and Android. It is lightweight and low-power. It uses the front-facing camera of an iPhone or iPad, Android phone or tablet. Support for other mobile or embedded platforms is also available.
With Nanogest, developers can add air gestures to their applications in just a dozen lines of code, using our simple gesture recognition API.
Our gesture recognition engine handles swipe gestures (left, right, up, down) and a hand-wave gesture, at a distance of 2in to 3ft, in most lighting conditions. Nanogest is very good at ignoring ambiguous gestures, or unrelated movements in front of the camera.
Nanogest was designed to be fast, small and efficient. The binary size of the gesture recognition engine is 60kB (iOS/armv7). An application using Nanogest on an iPad 3rd generation will consume just 25% of the CPU for camera handling and gesture processing combined, with a minimal impact on battery life. Nanogest uses 1.5MB of RAM.
Download a demo
Wave-o-rama is a photo album app for iPad, in the iOS App Store, that uses Nanogest for touch-free gesture controls.
Using touch on a screen is not always possible: your hands may be dirty (or your hands are sterile and the screen is not), or the screen is too far and out of reach.
Touch-free gestures are the solution.
- Cooking and recipe apps: no more touching the screen with hands covered in bread dough or grease! It even works with oven mitts.
- Diaporama or photo apps (for example, a photo booth app: select effect with a swipe, take a picture after 3 seconds).
- Mini-games (for example, quick reaction: friend or foe selection).
- Remote control: while your device is on the table, go to the next or previous song, change channel, ...
- Home appliances: increase/lower fan speed, dim lights, ...
- Medical and laboratory environment.
- Four swipe gestures: left, right, up, down.
Hand-wave gesture (can be used as a
click, or to dismiss a dialog).
- All iOS devices with a front camera are supported (iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 4th generation and newer) running iOS 4+.
- Android devices running 2.3.3+ with a front camera are supported.
- Support for other platforms and custom embedded systems available, please contact us.
- Effective range: 2in to 3ft.
- Works in most light conditions.
- Not sensitive to skin tones.
- Robust background filtering.
Please contact us for details: email@example.com.
Academic research license
If you are a researcher or a student in an academic institution, we can give you access to the Nanogest SDK under a non-commercial research license, at no cost. Please contact us for details: firstname.lastname@example.org.